Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Some Thoughts

After the match Saturday, I got to thinking that someone might benefit from some of our discussions about our Zimmers.

First of all, the only place that I know of in the US to get supplies such as caps, balls, etc. is from Neal Stepp at International Shooters Service. His website is: http://www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com/ammunition.html Which brings me to the next point. Gaylord mentioned that it is about time to place an order for supplies. If we order together, we can save on the ridiculous and abusive HazMat charge and on the freight as well. Let me know before the end of October and I will have it shipped.

If you don't know a lot about Zimmerstutzens, about all that is generally known is in Volume Three of Alte Scheibenwaffen (Old Target Arms). It is an informative book with many beautiful photographs of old Zimmers. It is available from the German Gun Collectors Assn. (www.germanguns.com). You might want to check out Volumes One and Two as well.

Often, many of the old Zimmers that are loaded with a "Loeffel" or spoon-sort of a fully removable bolt-have this part missing. If you have a Zimmerstutzen and this is the case, one of our members may have a solution for you that is both innovative and economical. Get in touch. Just don't let him talk you out of your "useless'" rifle. If your spoon is not missing, you would still do well to investigate this.

One more thing. For as long as I have had my Zimmer, I've cleaned it with either a patch or the little swabs that Mr. Stepp sells. I finally bought a 17 cal. brush and was amazed at what came out. Also, the rough place near the chamber isn't there anymore. Saturday was the first that I have used lube on the BB's. I used a few drops of Liquid Alox on them a few days before and was quite pleased with the results. I believe that my accuracy improved and the barrel stayed cleaner.

Cold weather is upon us and I believe that instead of our usual winter hiatus that we look for a convenient indoor range where we can have either Zimmer or 22 matches. Let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

No comments: